lundi 6 septembre 2010

Blame Teddy

I'm up studying for an as-yet-unscheduled exam that is supposed to happen some time this week or last week. Thanks, French university system, I LOVE studying for exams without knowing when they'll take place.



ANYWAY, I hate to admit it, but I was doing some research on Wikipedia, and I came across this old campaign poster. I noticed something: apparently in 1906, pollution was a GOOD thing. Check out the factories in the upper right-hand corner.

Incidentally, I used to think Teddy Roosevelt was awesome, probably from a visit to his home, Sagamore Hill, when I was a kid, as well as a lifelong appreciation of impressive moustaches. After studying history from a hispanophone perspective, I would say that I have rather strong feelings to the contrary. Not only did he shoot lots of cool wild animals, but Good ol' Teddy caused a lot of problems for the rest of the western hemisphere in the name of making money for the US. AND some of those problems spawned the literary movement I'm supposed to be studying right now. Thanks, Teddy. If it weren't for you, a bunch of animals in Africa might not be endangered, and I could be watching season 5 of The Office right now instead of hitting the books. Or Wikipedia. Whatever.

1 commentaire: